It’s the end of October and we’re all posting pictures of our weather apps reading 100 degrees outside on Facebook and Instagram. The air conditioners are all back on and it’s just horrible trying to walk our pups outside during this heat wave.
IS YOUR DOG BORED?
Just like when it rains your dogs can become bored and unstimulated during these times of extreme heat. They tend to miss out on walks and time outside in the yard playing because, just like us, it is too dangerous for them to be outside.
BRING OUT THE DOGGY KONGSICLES!
One of the things I love to do to help keep my dogs stimulated and busy on uncomfortably hot days, or any summer day to be honest, is to make them an iced fruit kong pupsicle.
These wonderfully interactive treats are refreshing, healthy and keep them occupied and challenged while I work.
HOW DO I MAKE A FRUIT KONG PUPSICLE?
These are so simple to make.
- Gather together a Kong interactive toy. They come in large and small sizes so you can choose according to the size of your dog.
2. You will need a ripe banana and some blue berries (or mixed berries).
3. In a bowl mash the banana and the blue berries together.
4. Add a tablespoon of water so that it has a workable consistency.
5. Stuff the Kong using a spoon or fork.
6. Place the kong on a plate so that the stuffing cannot leak out and put the plate on a flat surface in the freezer.
7. In the morning remove the Kong from the plate and offer them the refreshing snack just after they’ve been on a warm walk or come in from playing outside in the heat.